Digg in the beginning : The first 10 stories
In the early days Digg wasn’t quite the site it is today. Just like any new site there were very few users and the stories were selected by the developers rather than the community. In this post I looked back in the Digg archives using the Digg API and the story id parameter to find the first 10 stories ever to be submitted to Digg, the results may suprise you.
“We started working on developing the site back in October 2004,” Kevin Rose told ZDNet “We started toying around with the idea a couple of months prior to that, but it was early October when we actually started creating what would become the beta version of digg.”
The first 10 stories
1. CherryOS delayed till Q1 of 2005
The first ever Digg story was CherryOS delayed till Q1 of 2005, it hit the homepage (obviously) and only ever received 35 Diggs and one comment. This was an anonymous submission, just like the second story.
Digg, ever mindful of history, have deleted this story from the site but Archive.org caught it.
2. Creative delares ‘war’ against the iPod
3. Rumors: Next iPod to have downloadable games
The third story to be submitted and the first that Digg kept is from kevinrose and was apparently made popular 73 days before it was submitted. The story was titled Rumors: Next iPod to have downloadable games and currently has over 1200 Diggs.
4. Torrent search engine
Next up was a blatant attempt by Kevin Rose to rank on Google for the term Torrent search engine which currently stands at over 330 Diggs.
5. Logitech Z-5300 5.1 Surround Speaker System
The fifth story was an interesting one. Kevin Rose was clearly short of cash and posted an affiliate link to Amazon for a Logitech Z-5300 5.1 Surround Speaker System. I bet even Kevin couldn’t get an affiliate link on the front page today.
6. Buy one get one free Jamba juice
7. Bens Bargains
8. Cascading Style Cheatsheet
9. Blog Box Applications
10. Missing tenth story
This is a bit of a mystery, story id 10 doesn’t seem to exist. Maybe it was spam?
Engadgets first Digg
Since I can’t find story ten here is a bonus, Engadgets first Digg homepage with Tomato Picking Robots in Space.
Latest from B3Labs
- Another milestone reached for Branded3 as it’s acquired by the
St Ives Group
- The latest media consumer findings & what they mean for digital marketers
- Talk to Branded3 at @BuyYorkshire in Leeds next week!
Latest from Blogstorm
- 5 myths about manual penalty recovery
- Google gets more aggressive with link devaluation
- Why your press releases are getting you penalised