Google News no longer requires stupid numbers in the URL
A few months back I added 3 digit numbers to the end of all the URL’s on Blogstorm purely to get included in Google News. I’m not a fan of numbers in URLs because they don’t mean anything to users and just make it look untidy.
Yesterday I removed the numbers because it is no longer a Google News requirement, as long as you have a News Sitemap.
The three-digit-number requirement is waived if you submit a Google News sitemap in order to alert our crawler to your news articles in your Blog.
This tool will enable you to optimize the inclusion of your content without having to change the structure of your URLs. You can find more information about creating a News sitemap in our Publisher Help Center:
I used the Google News Sitemap generator plugin to create my sitemap.
If you want to get into Google News read the Advanced Webmasters Guide to Google News.
Latest from B3Labs
- Another milestone reached for Branded3 as it’s acquired by the
St Ives Group
- The latest media consumer findings & what they mean for digital marketers
- Talk to Branded3 at @BuyYorkshire in Leeds next week!
Latest from Blogstorm
- 5 myths about manual penalty recovery
- Google gets more aggressive with link devaluation
- Why your press releases are getting you penalised