By 6 years ago in Google

Google UK market share hits 90 percent

According to the Hitwise figures for December 2007 google.co.uk had a market share of 75% while google.com had a market share of 15% making the total Google market share a staggering 90% here in the UK.

Yahoo isn’t even in the top 4.

Google market share

It seems people are till using MSN/Live thanks to IE7 and Vista and people are responding to the Ask marketing drive but how can Yahoo be so low? Nobody I know uses anything other than Google.

The reason behind this has a lot to do with the fact that only Google has really figured out how to offer UK focused results with a mix of international results when they are needed.

By Patrick Altoft. at 3:04AM on Saturday, 19 Jan 2008

Patrick is the Director of Strategy at Branded3 and has spent the last 11 years working on the SEO strategies of some of the UK's largest brands. Patrick’s SEO knowledge and experience is highly regarded by many, and he’s regularly invited to speak at the world’s biggest search conferences and events. Follow Patrick Altoft on Twitter.

comments

  • http://www.linkdiagnosis.com Janusz

    Patrick,

    Very shocking stats. It would be interesting to compare Hitwise stats with other sources as I can’t believe Yahoo didn’t make it to the Top 4 and also can’t believe that Ask has more searches than Microsoft. How is MSN/Live split there, do we assume that msn.co.uk has no search traffic ?

    Janusz

    • http://www.blogstorm.co.uk Patrick Altoft

      They aren’t shocking to me at all. Nobody uses anything other than Google in the UK. Hitwise is the most accurate stats you will get on this I think.

  • Sunil

    Google is the best right now….there is no magic trick..they do the job well, Google..evolved itself…no body conspired to make it no. 1.

  • Pingback: Can PageRank be fixed? That is the question

  • Pingback: Why you shouldn’t ignore Google Images | SEOptimise

  • http://www.coastdigital.co.uk Chris Whatley

    How can you say that everyone you know uses Google?? People might perceive that they are using Google, but could be using any random tool bar that someone has downloaded. Watch how some of your friends use different search tools, its amazing what some people do.

    After reading an article about usability and how people think they use search, I have been watch and asking friend to show me how they do searches and the results were shocking to be honest. Some people would actually type “Google” into the Google tool bar and some of these people actually work in IT, othere would actually type domain names into Google of well known site, not part URLs, but full URLS – http://www.bbc.co.uk for example.

  • Pingback: No-News-Flash - Technorati Ranking Does Not Correlate With Traffic

  • Pingback: Beauty Salon Marketing UK » » Salon Websites - ranking factors for Google UK