How Google is handling the UK earthquake
Last night a 5.3 magnitude earthquake hit the UK and this morning millions of people are probably searching Google to find information on the subject.
Google has what’s called a query deserves freshness algorithm that detects when search volume increases and news sources all start writing about a subject.
This algorithm then pushes fresh articles into the top 10 organic results.
Today this doesn’t seem to have kicked in at all so far. There are only 2 news results on Google.co.uk related to this earthquake and none of the natural search results are related to it. Expect this page to change dramatically today as people arrive at work and search volume increases.
Latest from B3Labs
- Another milestone reached for Branded3 as it’s acquired by the
St Ives Group
- The latest media consumer findings & what they mean for digital marketers
- Talk to Branded3 at @BuyYorkshire in Leeds next week!
Latest from Blogstorm
- After five years, Google still doesn’t know how to rank images
- Tickets now on sale for the next #B3Seminar in London – book now!
- Google Only Shows One Organic Result To iPad Users