Linkbait Tuesday: subsidesports.com
Linkbait Tuesdays is a weekly feature where I offer tips for a readers website and then invite the community to offer their advice in the comments. If you want tips for your site sign up to Linkbait School.
www.subsidesports.com is a sportswear business selling football shirts and other items in the UK, USA, France, Germany and Japan.
The site already has a lot of links and is trusted by Google so as well as linkbait I will take a look at how we can increase traffic by building up content on the site.
A retailer like this should be looking to leverage its authority status to try and rank for more off topic long tail terms. For example they sell Wayne Rooney football shirts so they need top ranking for the query wayne rooney shirt . If this was my client I would be also creating profile pages for thousands of players & clubs with photos, videos, links to their websites, stats and as much information as possible to try and rank in the image, video and organic listings for queries such as “wayne rooney”.
Make sure the pages add value to the search results before you start releasing them just in case the large increase in pages triggers a manual inspection from the folks at Google.
Player profiles might not sound like linkbait but if you can get good rankings and maybe offer free pictures for Myspace and peoples blogs in exchange for a link back you would be amazed.
Next I would create a news section to the site with enough authority and editors to feature in Google News and start covering football news every week. Get to know all the football and sports bloggers and maybe send them a free shirt if they link to you in a blog post. Bloggers will be eternally grateful if you send them free stuff and you will become their favourite news source to link to.
As well as news you should publish linkbait style content targeted towards bloggers such as:
- Top 10 Sports Injuries of All Time [PICS]
- Top 10 Soccer Gadgets
- 5 Useless Sports Gadgets You Should Never Buy
- How Technology Changed Tennis (or Cricket or Football) For Good
- How Hawk Eye Works
- How to Hit Free Kicks Like Beckham
Sports linkbait is probably easiest to do by sticking to news rather than feature articles. Monitor this page for a few weeks to find out whats hot and what works.
If you have any more suggestions please add them in the comments.
Latest from B3Labs
- Another milestone reached for Branded3 as it’s acquired by the
St Ives Group
- The latest media consumer findings & what they mean for digital marketers
- Talk to Branded3 at @BuyYorkshire in Leeds next week!
Latest from Blogstorm
- After five years, Google still doesn’t know how to rank images
- Tickets now on sale for the next #B3Seminar in London – book now!
- Google Only Shows One Organic Result To iPad Users