How to redirect outbound affiliate links
Most of the top affiliate marketing experts redirect outgoing links. Some use a tracking script to track click volume but the main benefit is that your visitors are not immediately aware that the link is an affiliate link and the search engines don’t see that your site is just an affiliate site.
There are loads of affiliate link management scripts on the market but I’ve never seen one that was simple so I decided to release my own ultra simple version.
This script will create links in the format www.yoursite.com/go/amazon.php
Add the following code to your .htaccess file:
RewriteRule ^go/(.*).php$ go.php?id=$1 [L]
Download this file and change the file extension from .txt to .php
Edit the links in the go.php file to include your affiliate links, adding more as appropriate. Upload go.php to your web server.
This script includes some code to identify search engine spiders and redirect them to your homepage rather than an affiliate link.
Cloaking content for search engines is against their guidelines so you should use this at your own risk.
If you don’t want to cloak for the search engines use this version of the code instead.
Latest from B3Labs
- Another milestone reached for Branded3 as it’s acquired by the
St Ives Group
- The latest media consumer findings & what they mean for digital marketers
- Talk to Branded3 at @BuyYorkshire in Leeds next week!
Latest from Blogstorm
- Early thoughts on Penguin 2.0
- 5 myths about manual penalty recovery
- Google gets more aggressive with link devaluation