What is Google doing with PageRank
Danny confirmed what we all expected yesterday – selling links can reduce your PR, reduce your rankings and stop you ranking for your own name.
I had expected that the next PR update would see sites like John Chow.com and the penalised web directories given PR 0 so that they couldn’t carry on selling links. Instead Google seems to be reducing their PR by one or two points.
How is this going to help matters?
As I see it the only way Google can stop link selling is to remove the PR from sites that blatantly sell links. Stopping a site ranking isn’t going to have any effect because most people don’t check the rankings of a site before they buy a link.
Latest from B3Labs
- Another milestone reached for Branded3 as it’s acquired by the
St Ives Group
- The latest media consumer findings & what they mean for digital marketers
- Talk to Branded3 at @BuyYorkshire in Leeds next week!
Latest from Blogstorm
- After five years, Google still doesn’t know how to rank images
- Tickets now on sale for the next #B3Seminar in London – book now!
- Google Only Shows One Organic Result To iPad Users