The SYHA website was tired and dated in its design, code and content, and so the marketing team decided to enter a tender process to identify a new partner to help plan, design and develop a new site that would allow them to be a leader in this market.
The main deliverable for this project was a new, content-managed website to replace syha.co.uk.
The project was an opportunity to deliver an improved online presence which would:
- Better reflect the ethos, vibrancy and range of services offered by SYHA
- Bring the company’s care and support business to the fore and better reflect the impact of these services
- Increase visitor traffic to the site, particularly new visitors and search engine traffic
- Enable the move towards offering more of SYHA’s services online and self-service for customers
- Refresh and improve the look and feel of the site in line with the new brand
Branded3 proposed a new website solution using the .NET Umbraco CMS. The technology supported the existing infrastructure of SYHA, but also gave the room to customise and create something that could achieve bespoke functionality.
The internationalisation requirement of the project was achieved using Google Translate widgets, rather than creating a multi-site environment for ease of management.
The site UI has been developed using HTML5 and design techniques that allow the site to be fully responsive, this was supported by the analytics of users on the site along with the growing need for SYHA staff to refer to the site on a mobile device or tablet.
Custom integration modules were written to support the vacancy feed from a third-party supplier, along with location-based search mechanics to find the nearest SYHA service to a user’s post code.
The new site has been well received by all stakeholders and research groups within SYHA. The site has seen an increase of traffic in the scale of 20%, and bounce rates are down by 15% which relates to the increased quality of content and smoother user-journey.